Warpigs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warpigs

No crying !

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Euthyphro Problem

Go down 
+2
Miraranel
viikiing
6 posters
AuthorMessage
viikiing
Guild master
Guild master

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-01-07

The Euthyphro Problem Empty
PostSubject: The Euthyphro Problem   The Euthyphro Problem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 4:28 pm

I am taking a Philosophy course this semester and i am curious what others may think about this. I present this week on Euthyphro. Does God command something because it's good, or is it good because he commands it? What do others think about this. Do you believe in God? What does this mean to you.....thinking hurts my brain...lol

Viik
Back to top Go down
Miraranel
Officer
Officer
Miraranel

Female Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-01-07

Character sheet
spec: Destro
stat:
raiding preference: during the week, before 8

PostSubject: LOLCHAT   The Euthyphro Problem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 5:14 pm

I dont believe in god. I think it's useful because it's givin some people hope but that'S all. Religions were all little at the beggining, it was small amount of people with same believing who actually got some sense of management to make it this big.

I dont think god commands anything because it's good or that anything is good because gods commands it. I think god's commands were made at a time were people believing in those needed it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cochonchat.skyblog.com
Julakk
Officer
Officer
Julakk

Female Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2007-09-21

Character sheet
spec: holy/disc/shadow
stat:
raiding preference: anytime

PostSubject: Re: The Euthyphro Problem   The Euthyphro Problem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 6:04 pm

i too dont believe in god
but i think spirituality is something essentiel at a moment or an other in personel developement
sound weird hein :p
well i mean at some point of our life we all need to believe in something
u can call it god or simply believe in yourself
or anything else
just that spirituality is something we cant pass by

n if there were a god i think he would command cause he can XD
Back to top Go down
https://warpigs.darkbb.com
Shya

Shya

Female Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Character sheet
spec:
stat:
raiding preference:

PostSubject: Re: The Euthyphro Problem   The Euthyphro Problem Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 1:22 am

I am a Christan and I believe in God, but u have to remember that gods word where interpreted by man. There are many books in the bible that where never even included. A religions commands or laws...well be they good or bad is something u urself have to decide. The thought of a God to some give hope and faith to make it through tough times. Belief is the key.
Back to top Go down
lostie

Male Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-01-09

Character sheet
spec: holy
stat:
raiding preference:

PostSubject: Re: The Euthyphro Problem   The Euthyphro Problem Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 5:54 pm

Socrates said or thought or whatever, something like that : it doesnt really matter if we believe in gods, in fact it hurts us to talking about them cause we cannot possibly imagine to influence or comprehend them, we have nothing to bring to god(s). They are completely apart from us. They are in a different world and comprehension about what they are is futile. The true helpfull answers can only be achieved by discussing humans societies and theyr political systems.

God(s) dont commands to humans, thinking that is an insult to god(s). The only goodness we see in the world are images of images of images imprinted in our surroundings and ourselves. By understanding the nature created by gods we could maybe hope to understand what goodness is but no commandment is whatsoever given by any way. We are in our souls images of the god(s) but only images because the perfection of god(s) doesnt allow them to have desires. So the part in us that reflect godness, thus goodness, is the reason.

Since we are not gods and the only part in us that may come from gods is the reason, and that the reason is the part in us who commands to the desires, then both way are partly true and partly false. Our reason command to us what is good for us, so if the reason commands it it must be good, otherwise it would hurt us and only desires hurt. (emotions is way different from desires for those who would want to say desires are human...yes they are but they are those who always challenge the reason, emotions are naturals and fear , for example, is not desire, its survival). Then the commandments given by the reason, and never god(s), are good because the reason command them AND the reason command them because it is good for us.

Thats what I think Socrates thought. Also i dont believe in god or gods BUT the only thing i really know is that i know nothing, we are representing and interpretating machines.

Just an fyi:

Socrates never wrote and was always presented as a character by plato.
In The republic, Plato, by Socrates mouth, represent societies exactly like us: the reason is the political commander, and us, the population, the desires. The guards of the city (police) is the part in us that execute the reasons orders and fight for survival.
So with this logic plato was an anti-democrat and a pure communist (not the cold-war communists, that was dictatorship, stalline was in no way communist whatsoever...) because giving powers to the desires would be the end of the reason and by this, of the city itself. When the desires starts to give commands to the reason, we are one step away from the desires wanting to assume the role of the reason...etc,etc...

Laughing anyway, the republic is an awesome book and my true bible. I am not a communist, but i dont believe truely in democracy. Still i believe a lot more in human societies then in gods. And the only true way of understanding ourselves and the possible goodness and peace in the world will never be by questionning ourselves about gods we are a human society, lets understand societies. If god would command to us we would not be humans...we would be slaves.

Hope this help drunken
Back to top Go down
Avengel

Avengel

Male Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-01-06

Character sheet
spec: Frost!
stat:
raiding preference: i prefer raiding on the week-end

PostSubject: Re: The Euthyphro Problem   The Euthyphro Problem Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 6:37 pm

i always thought the world was a realistic sims game and our real bodies are attached to a giant computer that gives us everything needed to sustain life :/
<-- agnostic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Euthyphro Problem   The Euthyphro Problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Euthyphro Problem
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warpigs :: Warpigs rulz !!! :: tavern-
Jump to: